Diabetes Educator, CDE
Primary Job Function:
As part of an interdisciplinary team, the Diabetes Educator will provide nursing care and diabetes education to patients participating in diabetes remote telehealth programs. The CDE will work collaboratively with the patient and address management of diabetes using behavior change modalities to motivate patients toward their health and wellness goals. The CDE will collaborate with patients, providers, and other agencies and resources as applicable, to coordinate care to achieve patient’s optimal health status and outcomes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Collaborate with the patient and their care team, both internally and externally
- Develop, implement, and provide education related to diabetes for patients, families and caregivers including disease process, medication management, diet and exercise, prevention/management of short-term and long-term complications, glucose-monitoring, and the techniques of self-monitoring.
- Develop goals and health actions in collaboration with the patient and care team that drive self-directed care decisions and support improvement in health and self-reliance.
- Participate in the development of diabetes education curriculum and policies and procedures, and guidelines for the education, support, and management of telehealth diabetes remote monitoring programs.
- Advocate for patients by assisting them in the coordination of care and navigation of resources to reduce barriers and meet care needs.
- Evaluate care through problem-solving, analyze trends and variances and participate in quality improvement efforts to enhance clinical outcomes
- Engage the patient in their care, utilizing Motivational Interviewing techniques to influence patient behavioral changes to increase the level of adherence with customized care
- Utilize the case management process to set priorities, plan, organize and implement interventions that are goal directed towards self-management and the transition to independent status
- Document accurately and comprehensively based on the standards of practice and current organization policies
- Interact and communicate, telephonically, through video or other technology to be developed, striving for continuity and efficiency as the patient is managed along the continuum of care
- Perform responsibilities per customer requirements
- Recognize urgent situations and escalate appropriately
Competencies Required for Position:
- Strong organizational and time management skills are critical
- Ability to work independently, think critically and define an appropriate course of action and follow through to ensure the issue is resolved in a timely manner
- Ability to establish meaningful and productive relationships with patients, colleagues and clients while operating in a remote setting
- High level of accountability for your patients’ health status and well-being
- Excellent attention to detail, strong verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Strong clinical skills that enable you to accurately assess patients and implement interventions
Experience/Education/Computer Proficiency Requirements:
- Minimum (5) years of clinical experience, including high risk maternity or labor and delivery preferred
- Minimum of (3) years of experience in home care, care coordination and transitions of care, case management or telehealth preferred
- Experience working with Medicaid populations preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to access internal resources, navigate multiple computer programs, quickly learn new responsibilities/tasks, and effectively troubleshoot basic technical issues
- Flexible work hours, must be able to work in time zone specific to client requirements
- Experience successfully working remotely strongly preferred
It is the policy of AMC Health to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, AMC Health will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.